Written by Scott Allen

We are Mesa Arizona’s Top IRS Problem Solvers for IRS Substitute for Return (SFR)

What to do if the IRS files a Substitute for Return filing

If you fail to file, it is only a matter of time before the IRS will file a Substitute for Return.  This is the IRS method of assessing a tax so that they can collect from your wages or bank accounts even though you have not filed a return.  The IRS can levy your wages or garnish your bank account even if you would not have owed on a return had you filed it on time.

As you would guess the IRS prepares the return in the most negative way possible.  Not because they want to punish you, but because they don’t know what your filing status is or number of dependents and deductions or expenses you are entitled too.

The good news is that the IRS will allow you to file a correct (or original) return to reduce the liability.  The bad news is that if your correct return shows a refund and it is more than three years delinquent, the IRS will not pay you the refund or allow you to use it against other IRS tax debts owed on other years.  The IRS will not allow you to discharge taxes in bankruptcy on a tax return filed as a Substitute for Return either.

Contacting  Tax Debt Advisors, Inc. of Arizona if you have back tax returns to file gives you the best chance of getting the best settlement possible with the IRS.  Tax Debt Advisors, Inc in Arizona  has resolved over 113,000 IRS tax debts.  Call  today to schedule a free initial consultation at 480-926-9300.  Now is the time to act and Scott Allen E.A. is the right choice.

Scott Allen EA was able to assist Daniel in protesting the IRS Substitute for Return filings they did for him on some back tax returns. After getting the tax liability as low as possible Scott negotiated a low monthly payment of only $85/month. See the IRS approval notice below.

IRS Substitute For Return