Written by Scott Allen

Do I need an Arizona IRS Tax Attorney to file back tax returns?

No, filing delinquent tax returns is not a legal matter and shouldn’t require hiring an Arizona IRS Tax Attorney.  Consider Hiring Scott Allen E.A. instead. However, you should be aware of some of the negative consequences of filing back tax returns:

  • After three years past the due date, if you have a refund, it is lost and cannot be applied towards any balances due.
  • The IRS has a 10 year statute of limitations in which to collect on assessed taxes.  However, the statute does not start until your returns have been filed and assessed.
  • If you refuse to file back tax returns there can be legal consequences—but even an Arizona IRS Tax Attorney is not going to be able to get the IRS to agree to not filing a back tax return.
  • If you have not filed for a few years the IRS will file a Substitute for Return (SFR) which is prepared in the most negative way possible.  If this has already occurred, it can be corrected by filing a correct return at the Service Center that prepared the SFR.
  • The longer you wait to file a delinquent return the more penalties and interest will be added to the tax due.  If you have a refund, there will be no penalties or interest added.
  • You cannot qualify for any IRS settlement programs until you are in compliance with filing all of your back tax returns.

Scott Allen E.A. can be reached for a free consultation to discuss filing your back tax returns at 480-926-9300.  Scott has filed many SFR protests that have reduced the tax liability as well as the interest and penalties. He will make today a great day for you.

Below is a recent example of Scott Allen E.A. properly representing a taxpayer. Kathleen was several years behind on her taxes and Scott was able to assist in her getting those returns prepared and all caught up. Once she was filing compliant a payment plan negotiation took place. Her $100,000+ IRS debt was settled into one low monthly payment plan of $508 per month. How about that!

Arizona IRS Tax Attorney

Written by Scott Allen

Do I need an Arizona IRS Tax Attorney for IRS Tax Relief Programs?

No, IRS tax relief programs are not a legal matter.  Your Arizona IRS Problem can be resolved without going through an Arizona IRS Tax Attorney.  The most common tax relief programs are:

  • Installment Arrangements
  • Current Not Collectible Status (CNC)
  • Offer in Compromise
  • Filing Delinquent returns
  • Protesting Substitute for Returns
  • Penalty Abatement
  • Qualifying Taxes for Discharge in Bankruptcy.

Scott Allen E.A. has expertise in helping you choose the best option and getting the IRS to accept that option.  Before speaking with an Arizona IRS tax attorney call Scott Allen E.A for a free consultation at 480-926-9300.  Scott will make today a great day for you.


Below is an example of a settlement option that was successfully negotiated by Scott Allen E.A. Don had ten years of back IRS taxes owed. He needed an aggressive settlement and needed it done quickly. Scott was able to wrap up all that IRS tax debt into one low monthly payment plan of $161 per month.

Arizona IRS Tax Attorney

Written by Scott Allen

Do I Need an Arizona IRS Tax Attorney of IRS Tax Debt Help?

No, having IRS tax debt is not a legal matter.  You do not need an Arizona IRS Tax Attorney.

However, having an IRS tax debt can cause you lots of misery.  A taxpayer may suffer a levy of wages and bank accounts, lower credit scores, tax liens filed against assets and possible seizure of assets.  If you choose the right IRS resolution specialist, you will not only get the best settlement allowed by law but you will generally pay much less for those services.

May I suggest that you meet with Scott Allen E.A.  He has the expertise to work with the IRS and will not take on your case unless it benefits you.  Call Scott Allen E.A. at 480-926-9300 for a free consultation.  Let Scott make today a great day for you.


Click on the image below on a tax matter resolved by Scott Allen EA.

Arizona IRS Tax Attorney

Kurt had a large tax debt over $20,000 for 2015. With Scott Allen EA’s representation they were able to protest and file a correct tax return filing reducing about $15,000 off the tax bill. Dealing with the IRS can be tiresome and confusing. Because of that it is important to use a tax professional who handles IRS matters on a regular and daily basis. This is what Scott can do for you.



Written by Scott Allen

2018 Peoria IRS Settlement

What is a 2018 Peoria IRS Settlement?

A 2018 Peoria IRS Settlement is a successful agreement between an Arizona taxpayer and the Internal Revenue Service to solve a tax debt. Mike was in need of this service and went to Tax Debt Advisors to get this done. He had ten tax years that he is delinquent on. See the notice below to view his accepted Peoria IRS settlement.

2018 Peoria IRS Settlement

What does a “Case Closed – Currently Non Collectible” statue mean? It means that Mike does not have to pay anything back to the IRS on his delinquent debt. He has also agreed to file and full pay his current and future tax obligations. It is basically a $0 a month payment plan.  Based upon a detailed analysis of his finances it was determined that he did not have any extravagant living expenses and could not afford an IRS payment plan at this time. A currently non collectible status is just one of several ways to resolve an IRS debt. It is important to explore all options before making a final decision.

What are the available options?

1. Let it expire
2. Suspend it (Currently Non Collectible)
3. Adjust it
4. Pay it
5. Compromise it
6. Discharge it

Tax Debt Advisors is a family owned tax practice in Arizona. It has been solving IRS problems since 1977. It is currently owned and operated by Scott Allen EA and has been since 2007. Before that it was owed by his father. Over time Scott Allen EA purchased the firm from his father and has never looked back. He has taken the existing business and grown it year after year. Specializing in unfiled tax returns and IRS settlements has its rewards in helping struggling taxpayers get back on their feet again. This is the true joy of doing this type of tax work.  If you are currently struggling with an IRS matter give Scott Allen EA a call to discuss your situation.


Written by Scott Allen

How To Make Unfiled Tax Returns Okay with IRS


When you get backed up on filing taxes, it can be a scary journey of doubt and questions regarding how to make things right again with the IRS. Luckily there are some steps that you can take to make sure the IRS is satisfied and you get back in the system.

10 ways to correct unfiled returns and get back on track:

  1. In many cases, it is required by the IRS for the past six years of tax returns be filed to indicate that you are compliant and current. To reference, Internal Revenue Manual and the IRS Policy Statement 5-133. Making sure the previous six years of tax returns are filed is the starting point.
  2. Collect your records. It is significant that you do your best to gather all of your records for the years that were not filed. The records may include W2’s or 1099s that was received for work, interest, mortgage interest paid, stock sales or dividends. If you are missing records, don’t stress over it, you are just starting.
  3. You will supplement your records by securing internal IRS transcripts which indicate what was reported to the IRS. This is going to offer you a comprehensive list of all W2’s and 1099s that you received. This will be used for cross-checking with your records to discover anything that may be missing.
  4. IRS transcripts are simply the checking point. If there are amounts of income earned that does not appear on these transcripts, you should do your best to figure out the income and add it to the return.
  5. If you’re self-employed, business income as well as expenses should be figured out. There are several methods available for putting together the income, including total bank deposits or 1099s that report to the IRS (supplemented using income that was not reported). By going backwards, you can discover what was spent on living costs (housing, food, auto expense, utilities, etc.) and you can cross reference that with your income records using the presumption you earned at least the amount you spent and saved.
  6. Prior to preparing returns, you should conduct a financial review to discover how any taxes may or may not be repaid to the IRS. Dealing with unfiled tax returns is a twostep process. First, you must get everything prepared and filed. Second, you must negotiate solutions for balances due to the IRS collections. Doing this involves conducting a review of your current income, property, debts and living expenses. Once doing this, it is commonly found the amount owed for unfiled returns simply cannot be repaid, which may result in being qualified for a compromise offer, or you could be considered to be in financial hardship. In these cases, the debt amount owed to the IRS collection is put on forbearance (also called uncollectible). Bankruptcy may eventually wipe out tax debt as well.If you are unable to pay either way, taking the time to collect every possible business expense for your returns could be a useful effort if you are going to owe more than you can pay with or without receipts. If this is the case, you may be best off to file “gross” return, where you list the income amount and leave out the expenses, simply focus on solutions for collections.
  7. In the event that you are married, and only one spouse brought in an income, you should strongly consider having the spouse that developed the liability to file separately. By filing separately, it can put limitations on who the IRS is able to collect from, which can protect the innocent spouse.
  8. If you had been employed and received wages that had taxes withheld, you may find that you do not owe anything to the IRS. The amount withheld from your wages, along with other types of deductions (such as mortgage interest) will factor into this.Only balances due will incur penalties and interest charges by the IRS. Therefore, if you do not owe them, there are no penalties. Also, if you were due a refund, you may even receive those for the past three years of tax returns. However, if you have any balances rom other years, the refund will first be applied to those balances.
  9. There are times that the IRS will actually file a return for you in the event you do not file. In IRS terms, this is referred to as a Substitute for Return or an SFR. However, it is common for the IRS SFR’s to get things wrong, which can end up charging you for reported income on 1099s and W2s, but not providing any exemptions or deductions. You might have even received a bill due to the IRS substitute for Return. If this is the case, the estimated returns can also be corrected to lower the taxes, you just have to file an original tax return.
  10. If you have the option, you should hand file the unfiled returns using an IRS walk-in center. You will need to have an extra copy for the IRS to stamp as proof that you filed. If you’re working through an IRS Revenue Officer, you need to file directly through that person. The process can take several months once filed with the IRS, you should keep an eye out for billing notices in the mail which show the returns were processed by the IRS and that you’re now in the system again. If any balance is owed, the following step will be finding solutions to the balance due, which often consists of an installment agreement, compromise, uncollectible or bankruptcy.

You are able to become current on unfiled tax returns and get yourself back into the system using these steps. You should have the same goal the IRS has, getting your returns filed and providing financial disclosures so you reach a solution for any owed balances.

Tax Return Problems Solved

Tax Debt Advisors is here to help with any tax return problem you may be experiencing with the IRS. We have helped settle over 108,000 tax debt to date. Call us today at 480-926-9300 to get professional help in dealing with tax return issues and the IRS.

Written by Scott Allen

Scott Allen E.A. of Arizona will help you qualify for an IRS Currently Not Collectible Status

The IRS is reluctant to put a taxpayer who owes back taxes on a non-collectible status (CNC).  One of the main factors the IRS takes into consideration is the “hardship” that making payments on past tax debt will inflict on the taxpayer.  This is where having a professional represent you is critical.  Scott Allen E.A. has qualified many taxpayers for a CNC status in Arizona.  He is aware of all the deductions against income that will show the IRS your inability to make a monthly payment.

Remember that interest and penalties will continue to accrue or add to the tax balance due.  Scott Allen E.A. will find out when your tax liability will go away due to the passage of the statute of limitations.  The IRS calls this the “Collection Statute Extension Date.”  The IRS will likely file a tax lien.  However, if you are able to get to the date the liability is released, the tax lien will also expire.  Call Scott Allen E.A. at 480-926-9300 to schedule a free consultation.  He will make that day a great day for you!


scott allen ea

Written by Scott Allen

Work with Scott Allen E.A. if you receive a Phoenix AZ Notice for a Collection Due Process Appeal.

Phoenix AZ IRS Notice for a CDP

The Collection Due Process Appeal was enacted by Congress to allow taxpayers to have a remedy to their disagreement with an IRS agent or Revenue Officer.  The IRS Appeals Office is an independent branch of the IRS that will review your case to determine if you have been treated fairly.  A Phoenix Arizona IRS Appeals Officer has the authority to overrule previous IRS collection actions.  Taxpayers have 30 days to file an Appeal after the Final Notice is received.

The Appeals Office is more willing to find a solution to the taxes being disputed.  Scott Allen E.A. has expertise in negotiating with the Appeals Office.  Scott Allen E.A. of Arizona will meet with you at no cost to evaluate your dispute and will advise you what he can negotiate with the IRS.  Call Scott today at 480-926-9300 and he will make today a great day for you!



Written by Scott Allen

Why use Scott Allen, E.A. with Tax Debt Advisors, Inc?

Who should be your Arizona IRS Representative?

  • E.A. stands for Enrolled Agent.  Enrolled Agents are authorized to represent clients in all 50 states.  Attorneys and CPA are only able to represent themselves to clients as Attorneys or CPA’s in the states that they are licensed.
  • An E.A. or Enrolled Agent must pass a rigorous test regarding their knowledge of tax law.  The Bar exam given to Attorney’s has almost no requirements for tax knowledge.  The same is true of the CPA exam.
  • IRS agents and IRS officers are known as “bill collectors” and are hired to get the largest payment or settlement they can—that’s their job.  Scott Allen E.A. is there to make sure you get the smallest payment or settlement allowed by law.
  • It can be very intimidating working with IRS agents and officers.  With Scott Allen E.A. you will be put at ease regarding your IRS problem and know that it is being handled by a competent IRS representative.
  • Many IRS employees are incompetent or only willing to do the minimum amount of work to keep their manager off their back.  You need IRS representation to keep your IRS agent or officer “on their toes”.  Scott Allen E.A. can request a conference with your IRS agent or officer if he senses that he is getting the “run around”.  That is something most taxpayers are unable to detect.
  • Not always but occasionally IRS agents or officers will take advantage of your lack of IRS procedures and policies.  IRS agents or officers know that an Enrolled Agent is knowledgeable of IRS procedures and policies.
  • Most tax preparers including CPA’s are not experienced in working with IRS resolution work.  Scott Allen E.A. expertise is in resolving IRS problems.

Don’t put your head I the sand.  It is only a matter of time before the IRS catches up to you.  Put time on your side by contacting Scott Allen E.A. today at 480-926-9300 for a free consultation and put your mind at ease.


Written by Scott Allen

IRS help with tax problems in Arizona from Tax Debt Advisors, Inc

IRS Help with Tax Problems

IRS and Arizona tax problems affecting the residents of Arizona are now able to get competent and timely assistance and for a fair fee—call today for a free initial consultation and ask to speak with Scott Allen E. A.

Call us today if you live in the following cities and I can represent you before the IRS and get the settlement you are seeking.

Apache Junction, Avondale, Bisbee, Buckeye, Bullhead City, Camp Verde, Casa Grande,  Catalina, Chandler, Chinle, Chino Valley, Coolidge, Cottonwood, Dewey, Douglas, Eagar, El Mirage, Eloy, Flagstaff, Florence, Fountain Hills, Gilbert, Glendale, Globe, Goodyear, Green Valley, Kingman, Lake Havasu City, Lakeside, Marana, Mesa, Nogales, Oro Valley, Page, Paradise Valley, Payson, Peoria, Phoenix, Pinetop, Prescott, Prescott Valley, Safford, San Luis, Scottsdale, Sedona, Show Low, Sierra Vista, Somerton, Sun City, Sun City West, Sun Lakes, Surprise, Tempe, Thatcher, Tuba City, Tucson, Winslow, Yuma

If you have had a tax lien filed against you in any of the following counties, we will get you an IRS settlement which will result in the release of your IRS tax lien.

Apache County, Cochise County, Coconino County, Gila County, Graham County, Greenlee County, La Paz County, Maricopa County, Mohave County, Navajo County, Pima County, Pinal County, Santa Cruz County, Yavapai County, Yuma County

Scott Allen E. A. – Tax Debt Advisors, Inc for IRS Tax Relief


Written by Scott Allen

IRS tax audit strategies in Arizona. IRS help from Tax Debt Advisors, Inc

 Arizona IRS Tax Audit Strategies

  • Avoid having the audit at your home.  We suggest to our clients to have the audit conducted at our office.
  • After consulting with a professional make the decision to extend the audit or not.  If an extension is requested before the dead line and you have reasonable cause, it is not a mark against you.  However, to miss an appointment that you previously extended will be a large a “red flag” as you can find.
  • Be cordial during the audit but not overly friendly.  Leave the talking to your advisor unless specifically questioned directly by the auditor.  When you answer the question do it in the fewest words that conveys the correct answer.  Look the auditor in the eyes and if you need some time before answering the question—take the time.  If you know you don’t know the answer, tell the auditor you don’t know, write down the question and ask the auditor when you can get back with the answer.
  • Allow for disagreements.  You will eventually get what you expect if you never get mad or angry.  An angry taxpayer is usually wrong.  If you cannot handle your emotions, let your representative do the talking.  Auditors know that they are creating a stressful situation and their training teaches them how to benefit from that stress taxpayers feel.
  • If you are a sole proprietor filing a schedule C on your return we recommend that you put your business in an LLC and then get IRS approval to have your LLC taxed as a Subchapter S Corporation.  I can discuss with you the tax benefits as well as the audit benefits during a consultation at my office.

Scott Allen E. A. – Tax Debt Advisors, Inc.

IRS tax audit strategies in Arizona.  IRS help from Tax Debt Advisors, Inc

Mesa, Apache Junction, Avondale, Buckeye, Carefree, Cave Creek, Chandler, El Mirage, Fountain Hills, Gila Bend, Gilbert, Glendale, Goodyear, Komatke, Litchfield Park, Luke AFB, Paradise Valley, Peoria, Phoenix, Queen Creek, Scottsdale, Sun City, Sun Lakes, Surprise, Tempe, Tolleson, Waddell, Whitman, Wickenburg, Youngstown, Flagstaff, Tucson, Payson, Winslow, Sierra Vista, Page, Prescott, Globe, Yuma


1 2