Written by Scott Allen

Tax Preparation in Phoenix AZ

Where to go for Tax Preparation in Phoenix AZ ?

There are hundreds of options for tax preparation in Phoenix AZ; but only a small fraction of those are options for back tax preparation.  Scott Allen EA of Tax Debt Advisors is a premier choice when it comes to back tax preparation.  His company, that he purchased from his father 10 years ago has been specializing in just that for 41 years now. If you are behind on your tax filings whether you have your records or not, meet with Scott Allen EA today. He can guide you step by step during the entire process. View the image below to see a recent success he had for his client Frank. Some might not even bother to try and fix an issue dating back to 2004 but upon proper research within the IRS it was determined that we could in fact prepare the back tax return and actually have the IRS refund money back to the taxpayer. What could you do with over $6,000 of your own money that the IRS owed you?


Tax Preparation in Phoenix AZ

Tax Preparation in Phoenix AZ

With Tax Debt Advisors you will explore all available option when it comes to tax preparation in Phoenix AZ. Don’t delay as options can become limited the more time that passes.

Written by Scott Allen

Tax Refund Less Than Expected In Mesa, AZ

Tax Refund Less Than Expected In Mesa, AZ

Are you searching the internet for “Tax Refund Less Than Expected” in Mesa, AZ or in any of the sourounding Phoenix Valley? If so, your probably wondering why your tax refund is less than you though it was going to be. The information on this page should help provide you with some understanding. Furthermore, if after reading you think that you are still entitled to the full refund, do not hesitate to give Scott at Tax Debt Advisors a call today 480-926-9300.

It is very frustrating to think you are receiving a certain number of dollars back in your refund just to be let down when it comes. This does not account for the amount you wish you were getting back, but the amount you were planning on after filing your taxes. However, there are many different reasons that this might happen, and it does happen to a lot of tax payer’s every year, creating confusing and making them frustrated.

Why The Government Takes Portions Of Tax Refunds

The government will take money from your refund for certain debts owed, such as Student loans, HUD loans, Child Support, delinquent taxes, debts to federal agencies (non-taxed), and many other obligated debts, which will reduce the amount of your refund.  They will even take out any monies you may owe for fraudulent compensation from unemployment. So, if you have a refund coming from the federal government be warned that they will take what you owe out.

The Financial Management Service (FMS) of the Treasury Department are the ones who issue the tax refunds from your federal income, however, Congress has given authorization for a Treasury offset Program, this allows the Financial Management Service the right to take out any of your refund needed for paying these delinquent debts.

Reasons Your Tax Refund Might Be Less Than Expected:

  • All types of federal taxes you may owe.
  • Child support that is past due.
  • Non-tax debts to federal agencies, such as Student loans.
  • States taxes past due, local taxes past due, and even library fines that are past due.

You will receive a letter explaining the offset whenever your federal refund has been reduced or use up completely. Anytime that run into your refund being delayed or reduced, you may contact the FMS at (800) 304-3107 to get additional information. If your delinquent debts do not take all of your refund due you will still receive the balance of it in the matter in which you requested originally, either via deposit or by mail.

Married Filing Jointly

If you are married filing jointly and only one of you are actually responsible for the debt of the FMS collection, the IRS has special process that will allow part of the refund to still be processed for the one that isn’t responsible for the debt. In order to get a share of a refund which has been reported to the FMS for collection, you will need to complete the IRS Form 8379 (Injured Spouse Allocation), it lets the tax payer that is not responsible for the debt a chance to provide the needed information to the IRS and they will determine what step to take next with the tax refund.

The form can either be filed when the taxes are initially filed (if you know in advance that there will be an offset for a debt) on Form 8379, or it can be filed after the refund has been reduced by the offset or completely eliminated by the Offset Program. If you have an Installment Agreement request with the Internal Revenue Service, the FMS is going to intercept your refund and apply it to the principal balance owed on your tax debt. Unless this offset pays off the entire debt, you will still be responsible to continue your agreed on monthly payments to the IRS.

Call The IRS

In any case, if you do not receive the amount of tax refund you expected or it did not come at all, by all means, you should call and check on it. However, there will probably be a good reason for this, and the reduced amount may be correct, but, it is also possible that it was an error of some sort, something else could have happen to it and it ended up in the wrong hands, or misused, and could have even been stolen.

It is important that you act quickly and find out, to ensure that the amounts that were removed or offset will get settled and everything is accurate. The best place to begin this process would be with whoever prepared your tax return, as they will be able to work with you throughout the process to make sure you get back what is due you.

Make An Appointment With Tax Debt Advisors

If you still think that you are entitled to the full tax refund or don’t want to contact the IRS yourself, do not hesitate to give Scott at Tax Debt Advisors a call today 480-926-9300.

Written by Scott Allen

How To Make Unfiled Tax Returns Okay with IRS


When you get backed up on filing taxes, it can be a scary journey of doubt and questions regarding how to make things right again with the IRS. Luckily there are some steps that you can take to make sure the IRS is satisfied and you get back in the system.

10 ways to correct unfiled returns and get back on track:

  1. In many cases, it is required by the IRS for the past six years of tax returns be filed to indicate that you are compliant and current. To reference, Internal Revenue Manual and the IRS Policy Statement 5-133. Making sure the previous six years of tax returns are filed is the starting point.
  2. Collect your records. It is significant that you do your best to gather all of your records for the years that were not filed. The records may include W2’s or 1099s that was received for work, interest, mortgage interest paid, stock sales or dividends. If you are missing records, don’t stress over it, you are just starting.
  3. You will supplement your records by securing internal IRS transcripts which indicate what was reported to the IRS. This is going to offer you a comprehensive list of all W2’s and 1099s that you received. This will be used for cross-checking with your records to discover anything that may be missing.
  4. IRS transcripts are simply the checking point. If there are amounts of income earned that does not appear on these transcripts, you should do your best to figure out the income and add it to the return.
  5. If you’re self-employed, business income as well as expenses should be figured out. There are several methods available for putting together the income, including total bank deposits or 1099s that report to the IRS (supplemented using income that was not reported). By going backwards, you can discover what was spent on living costs (housing, food, auto expense, utilities, etc.) and you can cross reference that with your income records using the presumption you earned at least the amount you spent and saved.
  6. Prior to preparing returns, you should conduct a financial review to discover how any taxes may or may not be repaid to the IRS. Dealing with unfiled tax returns is a twostep process. First, you must get everything prepared and filed. Second, you must negotiate solutions for balances due to the IRS collections. Doing this involves conducting a review of your current income, property, debts and living expenses. Once doing this, it is commonly found the amount owed for unfiled returns simply cannot be repaid, which may result in being qualified for a compromise offer, or you could be considered to be in financial hardship. In these cases, the debt amount owed to the IRS collection is put on forbearance (also called uncollectible). Bankruptcy may eventually wipe out tax debt as well.If you are unable to pay either way, taking the time to collect every possible business expense for your returns could be a useful effort if you are going to owe more than you can pay with or without receipts. If this is the case, you may be best off to file “gross” return, where you list the income amount and leave out the expenses, simply focus on solutions for collections.
  7. In the event that you are married, and only one spouse brought in an income, you should strongly consider having the spouse that developed the liability to file separately. By filing separately, it can put limitations on who the IRS is able to collect from, which can protect the innocent spouse.
  8. If you had been employed and received wages that had taxes withheld, you may find that you do not owe anything to the IRS. The amount withheld from your wages, along with other types of deductions (such as mortgage interest) will factor into this.Only balances due will incur penalties and interest charges by the IRS. Therefore, if you do not owe them, there are no penalties. Also, if you were due a refund, you may even receive those for the past three years of tax returns. However, if you have any balances rom other years, the refund will first be applied to those balances.
  9. There are times that the IRS will actually file a return for you in the event you do not file. In IRS terms, this is referred to as a Substitute for Return or an SFR. However, it is common for the IRS SFR’s to get things wrong, which can end up charging you for reported income on 1099s and W2s, but not providing any exemptions or deductions. You might have even received a bill due to the IRS substitute for Return. If this is the case, the estimated returns can also be corrected to lower the taxes, you just have to file an original tax return.
  10. If you have the option, you should hand file the unfiled returns using an IRS walk-in center. You will need to have an extra copy for the IRS to stamp as proof that you filed. If you’re working through an IRS Revenue Officer, you need to file directly through that person. The process can take several months once filed with the IRS, you should keep an eye out for billing notices in the mail which show the returns were processed by the IRS and that you’re now in the system again. If any balance is owed, the following step will be finding solutions to the balance due, which often consists of an installment agreement, compromise, uncollectible or bankruptcy.

You are able to become current on unfiled tax returns and get yourself back into the system using these steps. You should have the same goal the IRS has, getting your returns filed and providing financial disclosures so you reach a solution for any owed balances.

Tax Return Problems Solved

Tax Debt Advisors is here to help with any tax return problem you may be experiencing with the IRS. We have helped settle over 108,000 tax debt to date. Call us today at 480-926-9300 to get professional help in dealing with tax return issues and the IRS.

Written by Scott Allen

IRS problem work in Mesa Arizona

IRS problem work in Mesa AZ at its best.  Click here for more info.

Last week I got a call from a potential new client here in the Phoenix AZ area.  His question to me was: “I have my refund check from 1984 for $1500 and I need to get in contact with the IRS to cash it.  Where do I go to get that done? Can you help me?”

I didn’t know how to answer the question at first.  I thought maybe he meant to say 2014 or 2004 IRS refund check.  The IRS has a statute of limitations on refunds and payments made to the IRS.  They have at least since I started doing tax return work here in Mesa Arizona.  Refunds are only good from 3 years past the due date of the tax return.  If a tax extension was filed then the 3 year rules would start from that due date.  There isn’t must that can be protested or challenged on this rule unless you can determine or prove that the IRS did something wrong on their end.  Lets say you make a payment to the IRS but do not get around to filing the tax return 5 years later.  That payment will offset any tax liability owed but if a refund is due you will not see the net difference as that payment is held to a 2 year statute on that.  The best advice I can give my new and current IRS problem and tax preparation clients in Mesa AZ is to always file by the deadlines even if you do not have the money to pay the taxes.  90% of the penalties come from not filing; not from not paying.  Payment arrangements and other options are available to pay back the tax debt owed.  To see the different settlement option below please visit my website at www.taxdebtadvisors.com.  My office is here in Mesa AZ and we are a local family company that files back taxes and settle IRS debts.  Call Scott Allen EA today at 480-926-9300 for a free consultation.

Written by Scott Allen

1040x Amended Tax Return filing in Mesa AZ

Scott Allen EA gets frequent phone calls every years of taxpayers in Mesa AZ who prepared or filed their tax return but left off information by mistake.  The only option to correct that issue is to prepare and file a Mesa AZ amended tax return.  Scott Allen EA has experience preparing IRS and AZ amended tax returns by using IRS form 1040x and 140x for Arizona.

What does he need to accurately get your IRS amended tax return prepared:  A complete copy of your federal and state that was originally filed along with the new information to add (or take away) to the return.  If you no longer have a copy of the original filing, with a Power of Attorney authorization we could get that copy directly from the IRS for you.  Amended tax returns cannot be e-filed.  The IRS and state requires them to be mailed in.  With preparing your amended tax return in Mesa AZ Scott Allen EA will give you self addressed envelopes to mail your new tax returns.  Amended tax returns typically take anywhere from 6-10 weeks to get processed so you do have to exercise some patience in the matter.

If you think you may need to get an amended tax return prepared and are in Mesa AZ give Scott Allen EA a call for a free evaluation.

Written by Scott Allen

How to verify and possibly lower your Mesa Arizona IRS debt

How do you verify and possibly lower your IRS tax debt in Mesa AZ?

If you know you have been behind in filing and/or paying taxes and need to get an X-ray on your Mesa AZ IRS tax debt here is a checklist to follow:

  • An IRS record of account is the IRS book for each year they claim you owe back taxes.  It records all payments as well as any interest or penalties accruing on the balance due.
  • Consult with a tax advisor on any discrepancies you may feel need to be checked.  Your advisor may have good advice on how to apply future payments which you have some discretion over.
  • If a balance due is from an IRS “prepared” return called a substitute for return, you very likely can file a correct return and lower the balance due.
  • If you feel a return that you filed was done incorrectly, resulting in a higher tax liability than it should, contact Scott Allen E.A. of Tax Debt Advisors for a free consultation to see if amending your tax return in Mesa AZ will save you money.
  • On occasion there are good reasons to request an abatement of Mesa AZ IRS penalties.  Scott Allen E.A. has the expertise to request abatement of penalties using IRS Form 843.
  • Consider having a consultation with Scott Allen E.A. of Tax Debt Advisors if you are in trouble with the IRS or need current year tax preparation in Mesa AZ.  Scott can be reach at 480-926-9300.



Written by Scott Allen

IRS Form 8857, Mesa AZ Taxpayer’s Request for Innocent Spouse Relief

You must submit IRS Form 8857 if you are:
  • Seeking Innocent Spouse Relief
  • Separation of Liability Relief
  • Equitable Relief.
Besides filling out the information requested you must include a written statement which is signed under penalties of perjury.  IRS Publication 971 provides complete information regarding all three relief options.  The IRS web site at www.IRS.gov website has information found under Tax Information for Innocent Spouses on this subject.


If you live in a community property state and filed as married filing separate rather than married filing joint, you might still qualify for innocent spouse relief.  Community property states are Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.

Relief from joint and several liability should not be confused with an injured spouse claim.  You are a Mesa Arizona “injured spouse” if you file a joint return and all or part of your share of the refund was, or will be, applied against the separate past-due Federal Tax, state tax, child support, or Federal non-tax debt such as a student loan of your spouse with who you filed the joint return.  This tax remedy requires the filing of IRS Form 8379. Scott Allen E.A. of Tax Debt Advisors, Inc. has the expertise to assist you on your request for innocent spouse relief in or injured spouse relief in Mesa AZ. Schedule an appointment by calling Scott at 480-926-9300.


Written by Scott Allen

We are Mesa Arizona’s Top IRS Problem Solvers for Tax Preparation

Over 80% of our Mesa AZ IRS tax resolution clients need back tax returns filed.  The IRS requires all delinquent returns to be filed before they will agree to a settlement.  That is why your choice on who represents you before the IRS will prepare your Mesa AZ back tax returns as aggressively as the tax law allows.  Tax Debt Advisors, Inc. has filed over 105,000 late returns since 1977.  Each of those returns has been accepted as filed and included in a settlement option.

Scott Allen E.A. of Tax Debt Advisors is the right choice and now is the time to act.  You will only work with Scott and he provides a free initial consultation.  Call his office today at 480-926-9300 and schedule your appointment.  Scott Allen E.A. is licensed to represent you in all 50 states.


Written by Scott Allen

How Does the IRS Punish Mesa Arizona Taxpayers for not Filing on Time?

Before you fail to file on time due to procrastination or fear consider the following:

  • Once the IRS files a substitute for return, you cannot discharge the tax debt for that year in a bankruptcy.
  • The IRS can prosecute you for refusing to file returns which can result in one year in prison for each year not filed.
  • The interest and penalties can double or triple the amount due by the time you file your return.
  • Social security benefits will be lost if you are self-employed and fail to file within three years of the due date.
  • Refunds will be lost if the returns are not filed within three years of the due date.
  • Earned income credit will be forfeited if you do not file within three years of the due date.

Filing on time is the best way to avoid a serious tax problem with the IRS in Gilbert or Mesa AZ.  Scott Allen E.A. has the expertise to file back tax returns and negotiate the best settlement allowed by law if you owe.  Call Scott Allen EA today at 480-926-9300 to schedule a free initial, in office, appointment.


Written by Scott Allen

Call Scott Allen E.A. if you need Scottsdale AZ IRS Tax Relief

The variety of IRS tax problems are almost as many as the number of individuals that have come into our family IRS resolution practice since 1977.  That represents 36 years and over 102,000 IRS tax debts that have been settled many from Scottsdale AZ.  The most important thing is to meet with Scott Allen E.A. and you will either know that you have come to the right place or need to find someone else.  Obviously, almost all of the free consultations that Scott offers results in a client for the simple fact that people are comfortable with Scott and trust him with their IRS matter.  Take the time to meet with Scott Allen E.A.  face to face, preferable with your spouse if you are married and—kids are welcome too.  Scott can be reached at 480-926-9300.  He will make that appointment a great day for you!


1 2 3 4